Home Page Group Health Individual Health Business Insurance Home and Auto Insurance

A variety of businesses are routinely operated in homes. The homeowners program can be endorsed to cover some aspects of hobby or "gentlemen" farms, including farm liability and livestock collision.

Farming for profit will require a Farm or Ranchowners policy. Farm and Ranchowners forms can cover your dwelling, barns, sheds, silos, cribs and other buildings, machinery and equipment, supplies, liability coverage, additional living expenses after a fire or other covered cause of loss; some policies can be endorsed for livestock mortality. Crop insurance is a federal program, but local farm insurance specialists can provide crop hail and crop damage coverage. Your agent should help you design an insurance program that meets your specific needs.

You may own property that previously was used as a farm. Farm insurers understand rural homesteads. You may find better protection from an agent and company who specialize in rural and farm property. If you have large barns or other outbuildings, you may need to increase other structures coverage under your homeowners insurance or convert coverage to a Farm or Ranchowners policy. If you lease land to others for grazing or crops or hunting, you will need to add separate liability coverage to your Home or Farmowners policy.

Workers compensation laws for agricultural employees vary in each state. Each state has special rules for hired hands and migrant workers. Even if you are not required to carry workers compensation coverage for a specific employee, you may still be responsible for any-work related injury to that employee.

Farm vehicles normally can be covered through a personal automobile policy. Incorporated farms may require a commercial automobile policy.

COPYRIGHT: Insurance Publishing Plus, Inc. 2013

All rights reserved. Production or distribution, whether in whole or in part, in any form of media or language; and no matter what country, state or territory, is expressly forbidden without written consent of Insurance Publishing Plus, Inc.

Posted 8:27 AM  View Comments

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version
HomeClaimsGet A QuoteContact Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Youtube Powered by Insurance Website Builder
174 Center Street | Winona, MN 55987
O: 507-452-3366 | TF: 800-657-4448
975 34th Avenue, Northwest Suite 302 | Rochester, MN 55901
O: 507-424-4400 | TF: 800-657-4448