TUESDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2013
Blog By: Brad Turner
If you look in all the closets and under all the beds, chances are you’ll find no monsters. That doesn’t mean there isn’t an invisible one patiently lurking and slowly inflicting harm. It’s called the Radon Monster.
Radon is an invisible gas that you don’t want in your home because it is known to cause lung cancer. It lives in the ground but can seep into homes through foundations. Our region happens to have more than its fair share of naturally occurring radon, so it’s worth the $10 to $15 for an easy do-it-yourself test kit.
The number to remember is 4. You don’t want your score to be more than that. Most homes have some radon. The average score countrywide is about 1.3 which isn’t considered a dangerous level. A score above 4 is considered dangerous and means you should get professional help from a radon mitigation company.
Minnesota has a new law, effective 1/1/2014, that requires home sellers to disclose whether or not their home has ever been tested for radon. So even if you aren’t afraid of the Radon Monster, chances are it will become an issue if you ever want to sell your home.
So why not check it out now? The peace of mind is well worth the cost, and if there is a high level of Radon in your home you can deal with it before it causes further harm to your health.